We begin Week 1 with the basics of molecular biology. This module takes an estimated 5 hours to complete.
Biology is the science of living things - what they are, how they work, how they interact, and how they evolve. Molecular Biology, on the other hand, is the field of biology that studies the composition, structure, and interactions of cellular molecules – such as nucleic acids and proteins – that carry out the biological processes essential for the cell's functions and maintenance.
Having a good command of the fundamental concepts of molecular biology enables scientists to better comprehend the outcomes of their research and analysis, as well as gives them the necessary background knowledge to conduct more targeted research and explore this vast, uncharted territory of science.
By the end of week 1, you should:
- Have background knowledge about the field of biology
- Have a solid understanding of the structure and functions of macromolecules
- Have in-depth knowledge of the DNA replication process
- Get familiar with the cell division process
- Be able to successfully complete the Week 1 Exam